Settling in



I need to get better at this blogging thing. It's not like I have absolutely no time to sit down and write, in fact I have more time now to think and write than I have since starting medical school. So, I really have no excuse. I guess I have been using the excuse that I couldn't upload my photos onto my computer after my iPhone 6 died and I had to get an android here in Sangkhla Buri, but now I've figured that out too, so really I've just been lazy.

Chris and I have started to settle into life here in Huay Malai. After one week of working in the hospital, I think I'm starting to figure out what I can offer to the hospital here and how I can contribute. Currently there are more doctors here than have historically been here in the past, which is nice to have plenty of support. Dr. Jen is a Singaporean general surgeon who has been our saving grace since landing here. His family welcomed us warmly and he has been amazingly helpful as we've transitioned into our life here. Him and his family (wife and three daughters) are currently on vacation and while they're away they even loaned us their bread maker AND badminton equipment. Chris has a lot to learn, but we'll get there...

Chris eating lunch at phi Pon's- essentially the hospital cafeteria. We ask for whatever vegetarian food she wants to make us, mai phet (no spice). Cost = 60 baht = $2 for both of us. 


As far as life in the hospital, well medicine here is surely different than what I am used to back in the states. We take care of a wide range of patients--pediatrics, geriatrics, obstetrics...I've felt like a medical student at times, needing to refresh myself on how to manage nephrotic syndrome or postpartum hemorrhage. My emergency training of course has prepared me for identifying illnesses and stabilizing them, but managing them in the hospital is something I have not had to do for a while. And not only that, but how we manage them can be wildly different than what we might do at home, simply due to lack of resources. For instance, we had a preeclamptic woman at 39 weeks present with mild symptoms who we started on magnesium without the ability to monitor her magnesium levels (it would take up to 2-3 days to get results) and only oral antihypertensives. Luckily I was able to consult an OB friend back home (thanks Liz!), and ultimately she was referred out to a nearby government hospital for fetal distress. Fingers crossed she did okay...

Needless to say, we are finding it quite comfortable here. Life is slower than at home for sure, but we've been enjoying reading, playing games (travel Catan..), studying, learning some Thai, doing yoga, playing badminton... We are hopeful that before too long we'll build up the bravery to learn to ride a scooter so that we have some form of transportation, but for now we are enjoying life in our little village.


The sunset in Sangkhla Buri
We can't wait to stay here for a weekend!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part 1- Maine

Limited resources

Dyspnea in a 23 year old male